We have fully committed to take the plunge into becoming backyard chicken farmers. I, Chickinboots, will be head chicken farmer. Yikes! What did I get myself into? I am already a full-time wife, a mother of two young, energetic girls and an owner of a labrador. Now I am going to take on chickens, too!? I am feeling a bit anxious as I dive into the unknown.
- Are chickens as low maintenance as everyone says?
- How do I choose the right chicken breed for our family?
- How do we pick the right brooder box and coop?
- How will our sweet, old lab coexist with a bunch of hens?
- Do I really have to keep the chicks inside for two months?
- How much poop are we actually talking about? I have heard that they poop A LOT!
- What is going to happen to the garden?
- Last, but certainly not least, how am I going to tell the neighbors?
The Rooster (aka my husband) and I have completed our first step of reading a "How- To" book on becoming backyard chicken farmers. I highly recommend A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert and Hannah Litt. It is a fun, easy read packed with great information for the first time backyard chicken farmer.
My family and I hope you follow us on our journey of learning how to raise chickens. From chicken education classes to coop building to egg laying, I think we are in for a fun, rewarding ride. In the end we hope that documenting our experience will inspire you to go on the same adventure!